- What is kidney transplant?
- Who needs a kidney transplant?
- Who can be a kidney donor?
- Kidney transplant vs Dialysis for life
- What is pre-emptive kidney transplant?
- Who makes up your kidney transplant care team?
1. What is Kidney Transplant?
Kidneys are essential for sustaining life. Individuals who end up with very little or almost no kidney function, either due to an incurable disease, birth defect or extensive injury, require a solution to regain/assist with their kidney function. Kidney Transplant is one of the methods to do so.
This involves a surgical procedure of “transferring” a healthy, matched kidney from a willing donor to “implant” it in the belly of the patient requiring the organ. Hence the name, Transplant.
Here, the donor kidney is securely removed with Continue reading “Kidney Transplant – Basics”