Kidney friendly vegetables
Scroll down to learn about the Vegetables that are safe for you to eat when on a Renal Diet & take a concrete step forward to creating kidney-safe, taste-bud friendly meals today!
Recommended Portion: 3 servings per day
- These vegetables have low-medium sodium & potassium content. Try not to exceed 1 serving-equivalent at a time to avoid abrupt adding-up of Potassium in blood in an instant.
- You could either take 3 serving-equivalents of 1 vegetable or mix 1 serving each, of 3 vegetables as below and divide it into 3 parts for separate servings.
- Prefer “freshly cooked” or “frozen batches (not older than 2 days) of home-cooked” veggies whenever you can.
- Avoid any “ready-to-eat” or “heat-n-eat” items. These are typically high in Sodium & Phosphorus. If you have to, read the Nutrition Facts Label printed on the packaging & choose “Low sodium” variants.
1 Cup = 250 mL (8 ounces)
1 Tablespoon = 15 mL
|Bell Peppers||1/2 Cup freshly diced|
|Brinjal / Eggplant||1/2 Cup freshly diced/sliced|
|Cabbage (except Chinese Cabbage)||1/2 Cup shredded cabbage|
|Cauliflower||1/2 Cup florets|
|Chayote Squash||1/2 Cup diced squash|
|Coriander Leaves / Cilantro||1 tablespoon Chutney|
|Cucumber (peeled only)||1/2 Cup peeled, diced/sliced|
|Fenugreek Leaves (Methi)||1/2 Cup cooked|
|Bottle Gourd (Lauki)||1/2 Cup cooked|
|1/2 Cup cooked|
|Green Chilly||2 medium-sized (for flavouring purposes)|
(Avoid Romaine Lettuce)
|Onion||1/2 Cup sliced|
|Parsley||1/4 Cup chopped|
|Snake Gourd||1 Cup|
|1/2 Cup raw|
|Watercress ||1/2 cup chopped (for salads, sandwiches or as "saag")|
LIMIT THE FOLLOWING VEGETABLES TO THREE TIMES PER WEEK
|Beetroot||1/2 Cup Diced|
|Carrot||1/2 Cup Diced|
| Corn||1/2 Ear or 1/2 Cup|
|Green Peas||1/2 Cup|
|Kale||1/2 Cup chopped|
|Button Mushrooms||1/2 Cup chopped|
|Potato||1 medium-sized; |
- Soak peeled potatoes for 7-8 hours in fresh, still, filtered water before cooking
- Leach the potato before use.
(i) Peel & dice the potato
(ii) Wash them thoroughly under running water
(iii) "Leach" them in boiling water (still, filtered) for 2-3 minutes
(iv) Discard the water & wash the "leached" potatoes in fresh water again. use in cooking.
(v) Leaching helps rid the excess sodium & potassium in potatoes usually present under the peel.
|Snow Peas||1/2 Cup|
|Turnip||1/2 Cup peeled, diced|